Sunday, February 11, 2007

Andy Goldsworthy

Being sick is certainly no fun, but it does have the advantage of slowing me down and forcing me to focus on things that might otherwise get away. I've had a video about Andy Goldworthy's environmental sculpture on my shelf for a couple of days. Not being able to do anything but lie in bed because of the flu, I gave myself permission to take the time to watch it.

At first I wanted to post a photo of one of his pieces for people who aren't familiar with his work, but since I'm not allowed to post others' copyrighted work here, I can't. So if you don't know his work, but want to, you can find him on Google: Andy Goldsworthy

I don't know anyone who makes art the way Andy Goldworthy does. Outside, in all kinds of weather, looking for what nature has to offer him as raw materials. Basically he creates art out of things like piles of rocks or patterns of petals. The kinds of things that kids would use but on a much more sophisticated level. Then he documents the destruction of his sculptures by the weather or the effects of time.

When you see his work out in Nature, you know that someone has been there and then thoughtfully left his human mark in a way that an artist would appreciate. He injects the basic technical elements of art - line, color and shape on whatever he finds. A pile of rocks becomes a huge cone. A pool of water becomes a disc colored yellow with dandelion heads. I guess to me that is how he transforms the randomness of nature into art. But like a good artist, he does it in a way that communicates a message beyond the technique.

When I first became aware of his work, I thought it very odd. But I have to admit that it has mystery and power and an irresistible attraction. During the movie - titled "Rivers and Tides" by the way - I kept trying to put into words why this kind of art captured my attention. How does he make his work more than "just a pile of rocks?" Why is it more than merely an exploitation of the landscape, more than using the land as just a source of art supplies?

I finally got a clue when I heard him say, "I am so amazed at times that I am actually alive..." So I began to think that there is some sort of spirituality thing going on in the mix of it all. That kind of spirituality some people find when they are engaged in Nature. The sort of spirituality that is beyond words. The feeling you get when you are walking the beach alone on a windy day. And you are amazed that you are actually alive. Looking at his sculptures reminds me of those moments.

The video closes with a shot of powder snow drifting through the air. When the camera pans over, it turns out that the artist has been throwing the snow up to where the wind catches it. Is that floating show really meant to be an art piece? An "art happening?" Is it spirituality? Art and spirituality at the same time? When little kids throw snow up in the air, it's no big deal. No one would think it profound. So just because an artist does it, does that make it art?

Everything seems so confused. But it doesn't change the fact that I think Andy Goldsworthy's work is beautiful and entrancing.

No comments: