Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"Strings" by Judy Buskirk



My postings about friends of mine who passed on last year resonated with a number of readers. An artist friend of mine, Judy Buskirk sent this story to me:

"The passing of friends, especially art friends, is so meaningful to us.

I met a young woman named "Vita" many years ago when her mother wanted us to meet, after she read an article in the local paper about my illustrating children's books. Vita was a talented high school student, very frail, afflicted with what I would learn at her memorial, Marfan's disease. She showed me her portfolio and jewelry creations, all very impressive.

Over several years, we corresponded. She invited me to become a member of the Peninsula Art League, which I finally did this summer. When I worked for Daniel Smith, I hired her as an assistant, and she drove to my home after her classes at Tacoma Community College. We would work side by side and chat. It was about this time that she withdrew from the public, probably because of the response she received at TCC, since she looked different from others and wasn't very mobile.

I guess she decided to live life more privately then, and simply enjoy a delayed adolescence with her many friends, going on shopping sprees, having costume parties, most everything involving pizza.
She continued to grow in her artwork, and money she earned from sales went to her Foundation, which she created years ago to aid high school students who showed talent in the arts.

She died in November of this year, at 24. I did attend her memorial, and learned so much about this surprising young woman. Along with a slide presentation of her hilarious adventures with friends and family, many spoke of her life. What an honor it was to have known her. How strange it is how one meets the "important people" in one's life. In Chaos theory, there are "strange attractors". An example is that central point where a pendulum crosses after moving in a non-repeating figure eight.

And "Vita" means "life"."

No comments: