Monday, January 29, 2007

Black Beret

I can't tell you how many mysterious and wonderful things I have found during my walks. Last winter, nearly a year ago, I found a lovely black beret on the sidewalk. I picked it up and took it home. Instead of being made of felt, the beret is actually knit in a fine, tight garter stitch. The shaping is made with "decreases" that form swirls which end in a small circle of stitches at the top of the hat. I bet at one time there was a button or stem decorating those stitches.

I can tell that the beret was much loved because it has been mended in three places. But whoever repaired it couldn't sew very well. The mending stitches are noticeably ragged and made with thread that doesn't match - dark grey instead of black.

I could have just left the hat there on the sidewalk, but I had the idea that no one else would take care of it as well as I would. I didn't need another hat to wear. In fact, when I got home I put it on the head of one of my teddy bears and it has been sitting there ever since. I also hoped that somehow I would find its owner. I thought of putting up a "Found" sign but never did.

Well, this morning as I was finishing up my walk I passed an elderly gentleman who was wearing what seemed to be a fairly new black beret. Immediately I thought of the beret I had at home. Was it his? Should I stop him and ask him? Would he think I was crazy? I just kept walking. Next time I see him, I may say something. I've seen him before and will see him again.

But, if it is your beret, let me know and I will return it to you.

No comments: