Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rod Sakrison


Rod was an Alki neighbor, environmentalist and musician who loved the beach.
NO MOURNING FOR ME
Like a lyrical light show
The pale morning light
Dances across the ridges
Chasing a mad-cap paint brush.

Deep green valleys
Point to hidden rivers
Snow white peaks rub their eyes
Turned pink from sleep.

Bouncing across the waters
Darting between the ferry boats
Gliding over the beaches
Eyeing a mountain goat.

I'm going to fly over
Those Olympic Mountains
In my red round sphere
When I'm outa here.

I'll look out
On a carpet of clouds
And lay my head down
On a pillow of dreams.
------Rod Sakrison, January 6, 2005

MY CENOTE*
As I lie in ICU
I heard them saying,
"He won't make it.
We give him a few days."

But I was floating
Just below the surface
Of a circular Mexican pool
And I knew I had work to do.

Deep green almost black
Like a forest shadow.
I felt my soul
Deep below me.

I wasn't afraid
Or scared to death.
Either way I was safe,
Warm and free in my faith.

Since then people say:
"You were tough.
And you were stubborn.
And you wouldn't give in."

But that's only half true.
I lived by feeling
Weak and thin
And not giving in.
------Rod Sakrison, February 16,2005

*(A "Cenote" is a deep pool of water)

No comments: