Monday, February 19, 2007

Attack Eagle



This bald eagle looks fairly small in this photo but that is only because it took me a bit of time to get my camera out. The bird had just dive bombed me and my dog Cosmo. Have you ever had a bald eagle fly no more than a few feet over your head? Talk about startling.

I think really he was eyeing my dog as a breakfast morsel. I've heard that eagles do eat small animals. I'm glad that Cosmo was on a leash. I have a nightmare vision of standing by helplessly as the eagle lifts off with my dog in his talons. Sort of a Wizard of Oz moment - you know, the scene with the flying monkeys. I've just got to tamp down my imagination.

It reminded me of a time a couple of years ago when my dog Magic and I had to chase an eagle away from a gaggle of screaming Canadian geese as the eagle attempted to take off with one of the goslings. Some bystander then lectured me about not interfering with nature.

No comments: