Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Bird Man of Alki Beach




This isn't a very good photo, but it was the best I could do. I have started to carry a camera phone on my walks in order to capture moments that up until now I have only described in words. Carrying a real camera has always seemed like too muoch of a hassle while I am doing my morning walks. But I have always carried my cell phone. Now that technology has improved to the point where the phones have cameras built into them, taking photos is more doable. The only catch is that the quality isn't that good. It's still pretty cool.

While I did want to get a photo of the Bird Man, I didn't want to ask him to pose. He seems to want no contact with people. So I tried to see if I could use my cell phone camera to secretly photograph him.

I have seen the Bird Man for several years now but know nothing about who he is. What I do know is that he is always alone and never talks to anyone. He walks along the beach with a little pouch of bird seen slung over his shoulder. Whenever the birds see him coming they start to swirl around in the air - following him as he walks. They perch on his shoulder, arms and hands. This cloud of birds moves along the beach as the Bird Man walks over to his usual bird feeding spot. When he is done visiting with the birds, the Bird Man dumps out his pouch of seed, leaving a pile of seeds and a crowd of happy birds.

Yesterday was the first day I noticed that the pigeons are now flying in pairs. Perhaps a subtle, first sign that Spring will again follow Winter this year.

No comments: